Do you suffer from severe shoulder arthritis or have seriously damaged your shoulder joint? If yes, then you might need a shoulder replacement. This advanced joint replacement option helps relieve pain and increase mobility.
Dr. Dilip Mehta is one of the top orthopedic surgeons for shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur. He has received extensive training and experience in advanced shoulder arthroscopy from leading international medical institutes and world-acclaimed mentors who are masters in this procedure.
He is ranked among the best orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur for his superlative surgical skills, precision, and consistent results. He specializes in minimally invasive surgery that offers quicker recovery and better outcomes.
Dr. Dilip Mehta
Dr. Dilip Mehta is a distinguished orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur, having more than 15 years of experience. He excels in joint replacement and reconstruction surgery, sports medicine, and arthritis. His area of excellence is the total knee, hip, and shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur. He is highly skilled in arthroscopy and arthroplasty procedures.
Dr. Dilip Mehta practices at 360 Knee Clinic, a premier orthopedic clinic for comprehensive treatment and solutions for all your musculoskeletal issues and problems. He is also the HOD and Director at Indus Hospital, Jaipur.
Read on to learn more about shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur.
Shoulder Replacement Overview
Shoulder replacement surgery, also known as shoulder arthroplasty, involves replacing the damaged parts of the shoulder with artificial parts called prostheses. Dr. Dilip Mehta provides the Shoulder Replacement in Jaipur.
The shoulder joint is a ball and socket joint that allows you to rotate your arm and move it in all directions. The round upper arm head fits into the shallow shoulder socket.
Damage or injury to the joint can cause stiffness, pain, and weakness. If conservative treatment methods do not bring you relief from shoulder pain, then Dr. Dilip Mehta will recommend shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur.
This procedure will alleviate your pain and allow you to use your shoulder by increasing your strength and range of motion.
How do you require shoulder replacement surgery?
You may require shoulder replacement surgery if the following conditions damage your shoulder:
- Osteoarthritis – It is the most common type of arthritis where the cartilage that covers the bones end and helps them move smoothly wears away.
- Fracture – If your shoulder bone breaks due to injury or the previous fracture fixation surgery fail, you may require shoulder replacement.
- Rheumatoid arthritis – It is a condition wherein your immune system attacks your joint causing inflammation and pain.
- Rotator cuff injury – Rotator cuff tear or injury may cause damage to the shoulder joint.
- Avascular necrosis – There is a loss of blood flow to the shoulder bone, causing it to collapse.
Who is a candidate for shoulder replacement surgery?
Dr. Dilip Mehta, a prominent orthopedic surgeon for shoulder replacement in Jaipur, may recommend this procedure if:
- The severe pain affects your everyday life.
- There is a loss of motion or weakness in the shoulder.
- The pain persists even while resting or sleeping.
- Other non-surgical methods such as physical therapy, medications, and injections did not bring about improvement.
What are the different options for shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur?
Dr. Dilip Mehta will discuss with you and help you decide the best surgical option. There are different types of shoulder replacement surgery, such as:
Resurfacing Hemiarthroplasty –
In this surgery, the surgeon replaces only the surface of the humeral head with a prosthesis cap.
This procedure, also known as partial shoulder replacement, involves replacing only the ball and the stem with a metal implant. The socket is left intact.
Anatomic Total Shoulder Replacement
During this procedure, the socket and ball with an attached stem are replaced with implants that resemble the natural bone.
Stemless Total Shoulder Arthroplasty
Only the metallic ball implant without the stem is attached to the socket in this advanced bone-preserving version of total shoulder replacement.
Reverse Total Shoulder Replacement
The surgeon replaces both the socket and the ball during reverse total shoulder replacement, and even their natural position is reversed. The socket is connected to the upper arm, whereas the ball is joined to the shoulder blade (glenoid socket). This complex procedure is mostly done if the rotator cuff is torn or damaged.
How do you prepare for shoulder replacement surgery?
Before your shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur, you will have a detailed consultation with Dr. Dilip Mehta.
He will conduct a physical exam, review your symptoms, and ask about your medical history to determine if the surgery is the right option for you. He may also ask for x-rays and a CT scan of your shoulders.
Some days before the procedure, the doctor may ask you to stop taking certain medications such as blood thinners, nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory drugs, etc.
What happens during the procedure?
During the procedure
Before the shoulder replacement surgery, you will be given either general anesthesia or regional anesthesia.
Then the surgeon will replace the damaged humeral head with a metal ball and fit a plastic surface in the socket. The surgery takes about two hours.
After the procedure, the experienced nurses will monitor your vital signs as you recover. They will also take an x-ray of your shoulder. Your discharge from the hospital will depend on your general health and needs.
Recovery after the procedure
Your surgeon will prescribe medications and pain relievers to help you recover quickly and comfortably after the procedure.
They will start rehabilitation mostly on the same day of the procedure and get you moving as soon as possible.
However, your hand will be in a sling for 2-4 weeks. You will have to be very careful during your recovery and avoid lifting more than one-pound objects.
Further, refrain from doing activities that involve pushing and pulling. It will take approximately 2-6 weeks to do light activities. For routine activities, it will take you around six months.
What are the complications of shoulder replacement surgery?
Though rare, the complications of shoulder replacement surgery are:
- Blood clots
- Nerve damage
- Implant loosening
- Rotator cuff tear
Why choose Dr. Dilip Mehta for shoulder replacement surgery in Jaipur?
- Shoulder replacement surgery is a complicated procedure that requires a surgeon who is well experienced in it, like Dr. Dilip Mehta. His expertise and proficiency in this procedure are unmatched.
- He is considered one of the best orthopedic surgeons in Jaipur for his proven track record in joint reconstruction surgeries such as hip replacement, elbow replacement, knee replacement, etc.
- He had the privilege to study and train at the finest institutes worldwide and has gained immense knowledge and experience in knee and shoulder replacement surgery.