Problems ranging from rheumatoid arthritis and osteoarthritis to fractures can all cause damage to the elbow. In some patients, orthopedic surgeons can repair the damage surgically.
If the damage is severe, your orthopedic doctor in Jaipur may advise you to have elbow replacement surgery. The most common reason for having elbow replacement surgery is severe persisting pain.
Although elbow joint replacement is much less common than the shoulder, knee, or hip replacement, it is just as effective in relieving joint pain and resuming daily activities.
Dr. Dilip Mehta is renowned for his expertise and experience in elbow replacement surgery in Jaipur. He has more than 15 years of experience diagnosing and treating orthopedic problems.
Moreover, Dr. Dilip Mehta is a highly qualified and experienced orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur who specializes in all kinds of orthopedic procedures, including elbow arthroscopy, elbow replacement, shoulder replacement, shoulder arthroscopy, hip replacement, knee replacement, and ankle replacement.
Furthermore, Dr. Dilip Mehta is a top-rated elbow replacement surgeon in Jaipur, with a stellar reputation among patients. So, you can rest assured in consulting him for your treatment needs.
Whether you are just starting to look into treatment options or have already decided on elbow replacement surgery, this article will help you learn more about this effective procedure.
What is Elbow Replacement Surgery?
The doctor replaces the damaged parts of the humerus and ulna with artificial components during elbow replacement surgery.
The prosthetic elbow joint comprises metal and plastic hinges with two metal stems that fit the canal's hollow part.
The metal replacement components are chrome-cobalt alloy or titanium, the liner is plastic, and the bone cement is acrylic. Elbow replacement surgery is the most effective treatment for damaged elbows.
Why is Elbow Replacement Surgery done?
Orthopedic surgeons usually perform elbow replacement surgery if the elbow joint is severely damaged and the patient is in unbearable pain or unable to use the arm. Some of the causes of damage are:
· Rheumatoid arthritis
· Poorly broken bone in the upper or lower arm close to the elbow
· Severely damaged or torn elbow tissues
· Unsatisfactory outcome from past elbow replacement surgery
· Tumor in or near the elbow
· Stiff elbow
Types of Elbow Replacement Surgery
There are various types of elbow replacement and components available in different sizes. Before making a decision, the doctor will discuss various options with the patient.
1. Total elbow replacement:
The surgeon uses a prosthetic hinge implant to replace the elbow joint and parts of the upper arm and forearm.
There are two kinds of prostheses.
Because all parts of the replacement joint are connected, this prosthesis functions similarly to a loose hinge. This provides good joint stability. But the movement stresses can occasionally cause the prosthesis to work itself loose from the insertion site into the arm bones.
This type of prosthesis is available in two separate, unconnected pieces. Because the design of this device relies on the surrounding ligaments to keep your joint together, it may be more prone to dislocation.
2. Partial elbow replacement:
The doctor will remove only the damaged part of the joint and replace it with a prosthetic, leaving most of the bone in your upper arm and forearm intact.
3. Revision elbow replacement:
Elbow implants can last up to 20 years. When your doctor performs revision surgery, they replace worn or loosened prosthetic implants with new ones.
What should I do to get ready for elbow replacement surgery?
- Physical examination of the elbow, an X-ray, an MRI, blood tests, and an ECG are all performed to prepare for surgery.
- Inform the doctor about the medications and supplements the patient is currently taking.
- Eat and drink nothing 6 to 12 hours before the procedure.
- Prepare your home following the doctor's recommendations for post-surgery life adjustments.
What can I expect during the elbow replacement procedure?
- Before the elbow replacement surgery, the anesthetist will administer anesthesia to the patient.
- The surgeon will start by making an incision at the back of the elbow, then move the muscles aside to gain access to the bone.
- Next, the surgeon will remove the scar tissue and spurs around the joint, preparing the humerus for the insertion of the metallic implant; it will replace that side of the joint.
- The doctor may employ a similar procedure for the ulna.
- Further, the surgeon cements the replacement stems into the humerus and ulna bones, with a hinge pin connecting them.
- Once the wound has healed, a padded dressing is applied to protect the incision while it heals.
What can I expect following elbow replacement surgery?
- It usually takes a couple of days for the patient to recover.
- The doctors will take the necessary steps to control any blood clotting, pain, or swelling.
- The doctor will instruct the patient and caregivers on handling any emergency.
- After a few days, the doctor will need to see the patient for a follow-up appointment.
- The patient may be required to follow an exercise regimen prescribed by the doctor or physiotherapist.
What are the Benefits of Elbow Replacement Surgery?
The following are the main advantages of elbow replacement surgery:
- Alleviates joint pain.
- Increases the range of joint movements.
- Improves the quality of life.
What are the Risks Associated with Elbow Replacement Surgery?
. Nerve and blood vessel damage
· Broken bones
· Joint stiffness
· Weakness in tendons of the arm
· Loosening of artificial joints
Potential complications may include:
. Damage to bone or muscle
. Fracture of new joints
· Weakness of triceps tendon
Bleeding and blood clots can occur after surgery.
Why Choose Us for Elbow Replacement Surgery in Jaipur?
- Our highly-qualified and skilled orthopedic surgeon in Jaipur, Dr. Dilip Mehta, has a wealth of experience working with athletes and patients of all ages.
- We provide various surgical options, such as total and partial elbow replacement. Following surgery, our orthopedic rehabilitation program can assist you in regaining mobility and function.
- We offer several pain management options. These treatments minimize medication side effects while promoting quicker recovery and return to normal life.
We treat our patients as if they were family. You see the same friendly, helpful faces at your appointments and throughout your treatment.